Goodness Gracious, Great Balls of fire
Sunday, January 31, 2016
At my grandparents home, there were several out buildings. There was the main house, two bedrooms, and one bath. One bedroom was just big enough for a twin bed. There was a small kitchen with an added on dining area and a small living room. Outside was the dirt lined storm cellar where my grandmother kept her canning.
My grandfather, Hugh Robert Etter and his "brother" Spud.
Behind the main house was what we called the little house if there could be anything littler than the main house. Well, it was. It was two rooms and a tiny bath and closet. One room housed the kitchen and a small dining area. The other room was where the bed and living room were. The only thing is it was barely big enough for a bed. Anyway, the little house is where my grandparents housed people with needs, and then later my parents lived there and then my brother and me for a short time.
The little house getting spruced up for helping others. My grandmother, Lucy May Etter, my mother, Lorena Zoe Etter, Mary Lou (Spud's sister and Bertram Etter's children, Virginia Etter, and ???
On the south side of the little house was the washroom. It was no bigger than a small closet. It always smelled of laundry detergent. There was a square sheet metal tub with a spigot over it and a rubber hose piece draining from it under the floor, aka drain.
Behind the little house were the barracks. It was an old army barrack building that was moved in, and I know that my grandparents helped many an alcoholic in the front two rooms of that structure.
Off to the south of the barracks was the hen house. The hen house was semi-connected to the shop. The shop was the best-built structure on the property other than that big old tree that sat in the middle of it all.
My Cranny (Lucy May Etter) walking from the shop.
The shop is where Hugh R. Etter Electric ran their business. You could find everything from my grandfather's early artificial limbs hanging from the rafters to deer heads mounted on the walls. There were light fixtures and motor parts. There were grease spots on the floor and a grease can on the work bench and a set of solid oak bins that came from the first grocery store in Plainview. In the bin drawers were my grandfather's and his brother Bertram's early books and in other drawers, electrical parts and pieces.
High up above were the rafters. As we got older, we were allowed to climb up top and play there. There was no floor to speak of, only huge rafter structure boards. An area of about 8 x 8 foot had some loose plywood laid out over them. A few things were stored there. I can remember being perched up there and watching people below.
Goodness gracious, great balls of fire. My cousin, Janis and I were sitting up on the rafter area and for some reason, we had a book of matches. I'm sure it was my fault, even if it wasn't me, but someone struck a match and caught a box of straw packing material on fire. Of course, we could take care of it. Quickly we were down the ladder and headed to the wash house to get cups of water. We used the cups that our grandmother used to pour her detergents into the washer. We filled them with water and rushed up and down, and up and down that tall ladder trying to put that little fire out. My grandfather, Bo, as we called him, hollered out Suzy and Pete, What are you girls up to? When we told him our little problem, he called Cranny (our grandmother) on the phone from the shop that would ring over to the house and yelled, CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT.
Since most of the time he wore knee pads and walked on his knees, this is how he was that day. He rushed as fast as his knee pads would allow to the hose on the house and we helped uncoil it, and he sprayed that fire out. The firemen came with their siren a blarin' and caused a neighborhood scene. The fire was out. Thank goodness. No real damage to anything. I don't ever remember going up on the rafters again until I was an adult.
Psalm 121:7 The LORD will keep you from all harm-- he will watch over your life...
Fresh Find: Love this bed!